ISO 45003 - Psychological health and safety at work
Manage psychosocial risks to prevent work-related injury and ill health and promote well-being at work.ISO 45003 provides guidelines for managing psychosocial risks within an occupational health and safety management system based on ISO 45001. Applicable to organizations of all sizes and sectors it provides a structured framework to develop, implement, maintain and continually improve health and safety in the workplace. The pandemic has elevated employee well-being on employer agendas. Isolation, stress, burnout and depression. Supporting mental health has never been more important.
What is ISO 45003ISO 45003 is a guideline standard for building a management system, implementing effective controls to eliminate or manage psychosocial risks. It is written to support companies with an occupational health and safety management system based on ISO 45001. However, any organization can benefit from this global best practice on addressing psychosocial health and safety risk. ISO 45003 helps you build a positive working environment that can help improve organizational resilience, enhance performance and productivity. The standard covers:
- how to recognize psychosocial hazards that can affect workers, such as those caused by home working;
- offers examples of effective – often simple – actions to manage these and improve employee wellbeing.
The benefitsAs a guideline, ISO 45003 is a non-certifiable standard. However, compliance can be assessed by an independent third party like DNV also in combination with your ISO 45001 (Occupational Health and Safety) management system certification audit. Benefits of ISO 45003 compliance:
- High levels of discretionary effort;
- Improved recruitment, retention and diversity;
- Enhanced worker engagement;
- Increased innovation;
- Legal compliance;
- Reduced absence from workplace due to stress, burnout, anxiety and depression.